Why become a member? ×

LH500 -> Super Twelve vs MB sa450 -> Bergantino ae410 comparison...

51m0n

[quote name='josh3184' post='929934' date='Aug 19 2010, 03:38 PM']I voted 002 due to the slightly better bass handling imo. It was definitely my favorite whichever it was :)[/quote]

Ooooh that's interesting, how you've perceived that in the mix is different to how it was in the room.

Actually I'll give you all a clue, #1 went deeper, #2 was more prominent in the low mids, and gives the impression of handling more bass.

If you listen on serious speakers you can hear #1 go deeper in the second section than #2 does, but in the first section #2 sounds fuller, because its more lo-mid prominent.

I love all this, to be honest that wasnt much help as a clue :rolleyes:

When do you want me to reveal the truth then?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='930053' date='Aug 19 2010, 05:05 PM']You can very clearly hear the difference between the Big One and the other two![/quote]

Not half!

I reckon its the ultimate 'butter' sounding r&b/funk fingerstyle cab I've ever heard (well maybe the Berg NV215 was as good).

Utterly gorgeous thick sound with all the articulation you could ever want. I love that cab, if I win the lottery I'm having one with a tweeter (+ attenuator) :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='930077' date='Aug 19 2010, 05:33 PM']Not half!

I reckon its the ultimate 'butter' sounding r&b/funk fingerstyle cab I've ever heard (well maybe the Berg NV215 was as good).

Utterly gorgeous thick sound with all the articulation you could ever want. I love that cab, if I win the lottery I'm having one with a tweeter (+ attenuator) :rolleyes:[/quote]
A definite low register bloom there and it all sounds very even. The first gig where I'll be able to let the BigOne loose isn't until September 16.... can't wait. :) :ph34r: :brow:

[quote name='Protium' post='930206' date='Aug 19 2010, 07:29 PM']They both sound like a dull SS amp through a generic 15" cab in an acoustically bad room, but I voted number 2.[/quote]

In what way dull?

Dull as in not bright/toppy, or dull as in untinteresting?

The room is no worse acoustically than almost any room that size (small), and better than a fair few rehearsal rooms I've had the misfortune to be in. Certainly on a par with most venus though.

With the mics about 4' from the cab picking up everything then you are mostly hearing the sound of the cab in that room, which would be what your punters hear - which is the point of the recording to be fair.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='930294' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:57 PM']That Big One sounds great. Really, really good and clear. Certainly didn't sound muddy to me. The playing is rather good as well. Top!! :)[/quote]

She's only been playing a year and a bit too...

OK its all gone quiet out there so I'll spill the beans:

STE_001 is the Markbass -> Berg rig
STE_002 is the LH500 -> Super12 rig

IMO neither sounds remotely dull or like a generic 15 (surely that was a wind up ?) but whatever. You can hear masses of top end off those cabs (admittedly rather fizzy from the OD pedal but hey its there), and both rigs did a brilliant job of getting the sound that was wanted and drowning out the rest of the neighbourhood in bass.

Alex and I both noted that the Berg goes deeper (port tuned lower I think) than the super12, but you can certainly eq plenty of bass into the super12.

Its a very nice sounding cab guys, I'd happily recommend it to anyone looking for a loud but really pretty portable solution.

The BigOne is a hell of a cab though.....

Once again thanks to Alex for the time and kit to do this!

[quote name='51m0n' post='931117' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:48 PM']IMO neither sounds remotely dull or like a generic 15 (surely that was a wind up ?) but whatever. You can hear masses of top end off those cabs (admittedly rather fizzy from the OD pedal but hey its there), and both rigs did a brilliant job of getting the sound that was wanted and drowning out the rest of the neighbourhood in bass.[/quote]

Not a wind up, just sounds like the tone I hated but had to put up with with my first amp. I can't describe it, it's just there :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='51m0n' post='931117' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:48 PM']Alex and I both noted that the Berg goes deeper (port tuned lower I think) than the super12, but you can certainly eq plenty of bass into the super12.[/quote]

It's not so much that it goes deeper but that it's fatter in the lows. It's hard to explain but the main difference is the motor strength to cone mass ratio, the S12 having more power to cone mass so it has more punch but at lower frequencies the cones aren't as free to resonate. The tuning frequency is probably about the same. So you gain midrange sensitivity but you lose low frequency sensitivity but by having that extra motor strength you can push a longer voice coil which means more power handling in the lows and thus greater ultimate low frequency output. Pretty much every high-end pro-sound subwoofer nowadays uses the same approach!